REVITALIZING THE ECONOMY
Reducing Unemployment, Creating Jobs:
- National Initiative to Create Employment (NICE)
launched with over 6,000 new jobs created;
- $100.94 Million spent on job creation through
- Reintroduction of Short Term Employment Project (STEP) with 2000 to 2500 persons employed at each cycle;
- New Cruise Ship Employment Programme started;
- Tourism hostess programme implemented;
- Nursing Program to secure employment for Saint Lucian nurses developed.
Taking Tourism to New Heights:
- Continued to steadily increase visitor arrivals; in 2015 we surpassed the one million mark for the first
- Increased airlift from the major source markets including USA, UK and Canada, without resorting to the use of exorbitant revenue guarantees;
- Successfully rebranded the Jazz Festival to Saint Lucia Jazz and Arts Festival;
- Opening of Capella Marigot Bay and the Dive Centre in Rodney Bay;
- Construction of two new hotels: Harbour Club Hotel in Rodney Bay & Royalton Resort in Cap Estate;
- Refurbishment and expansion work at seven major hotels.
Agriculture and Fisheries Rejuvenation:
- New jetties at Praslin and Savannes Bay;
- Increased fuel subsidy to fishers by 100%;
- Passage of new Agriculture and Fisheries Incentives Act;
- Increased domestic and hotel purchases of local crops;
- Effective management of Black Sigatoka disease;
- Major expansion of cocoa, coconut and coffee production;
- Improved School Feeding Programme;
- Farm Labour Support programme through NICE.
Supporting Local Business:
- Small Business Development Centre (SBDC) launched;
- Export of furniture by local manufacturers to Grenada;
- Business Name Registration Assistance provided to over 200 persons;
- Act establishing the Trade Export Promotion Agency passed;
- Consumer Protection Act passed in Parliament.
- Successful hosting of inaugural Saint Lucia Investment Forum;
- New National Investment legislation passed;
- Commencement of work for the Courts Mega Centre at Marisule;
- Construction of Dayana Mall on Bridge Street, Castries;
- Establishment of Caribbean Grains in Vieux Fort.
Creative Industries Programme:
- Establishment of Walcott House;
- National Performance Program Launched;
- JÈTÉ dance competition developed, providing training to dancers;
- Saint Lucian Artist Marketing Concert (S.L.A.M) launched.
RESTORING LAW AND ORDER
Enacting New Legislation:
- Anti-Gang Legislation passed.
Working with the Police
- Supported police in crime prevention activities and in their efforts to reduce the homicide rate.
CREATING A MORE CARING AND EQUITABLE SOCIETY
Educating our Youth:
- $500 one-time bursary to families whose children pass the Common Entrance examination;
- $700 annual Teaching Supplies Grant to teachers;
- Introduction of “One Laptop per Child” Programme. All students in Forms 3,4, & 5 now have laptops;
- Partial Zoning introduced to reduce the burden of transportation costs;
- Refurbishment of Saltibus Combined, Deniere Riviere Combined, Dennery Primary and Desruisseaux Combined schools;
- Renovation of Vieux Fort Infant, Corinth Secondary, Clendon Mason Memorial, Fond Assau Combined, Canaries Infant School, Micoud Infant/Primary School.
Safety Nets and Support for the Vulnerable:
- Public assistance increased by 25%;
- New monthly assistance of $200.00 for children with special needs;
- NICE National Home Help Programme implemented;
- Single Mothers empowerment programme (SMILE) started;
- Water and electricity connections made possible for all Saint Lucians regardless of land ownership situation;
- Caretaker Programme/Roadside Maintenance Programme initiated;
- No VAT on electricity and water bills.
Better Health Services:
- Dennery Hospital completely rehabilitated;
- Soufriere hospital refurbished;
- Ti-Rocher Wellness Centre renovated;
- Gros Islet Polyclinic’s hours expanded;
- Refurbishment of health centres at Babonneau, Micoud, Etangs & Castries;
- La Guerre Wellness Centre constructed;
- 162 persons received EDF Scholarships to undergo specialised training in health services;
- Free medication for diabetics and individuals diagnosed with hypertension;
- No VAT on medication;
- Amnesty in 2012 for persons with outstanding bills at Victoria Hospital and St. Jude Hospital.
Improving Access to Affordable Housing:
- Construction of homes for underprivileged residents in Dennery, Soufriere and Vieux-Fort;
- Return of PROUD;
- 48 households from Conway relocated to Fond Manger, Castries;
- Monchy Housing Project completed;
- First phase of Mocha Housing Project completed;
- Bois d’Orange/Trouya Development launched 76 housing lots created;
- Black Bay Housing Development launched;
- Crown Lands Rectification Programme started.
REBUILDING OUR NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Repair of Hurricane Tomas damage on the Barre de Lisle;
- Sulphur Springs Road restored;
- Guesneau slope stabilized;
- East Coast Road repairs undertaken;
- Marchand Riverbank Stabilization Programme underway;
- 21 bridges built or rehabilitated;
- Several roads rehabilitated around the island, including in Dennery, Vieux Fort, Castries, Soufriere, Choiseul, Laborie and Gros Islet;
- New Vieux Fort Square constructed;
- Ongoing construction of the Soufriere Town square;
- Refurbished Marchand Community Centre.
ACTION ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Protecting our Environment:
- Saved the UNESCO World Heritage status of the Pitons Management Area;
- Established Flood Early Warning Systems in Anse La Raye, Canaries and Marchand.
Improving the Water Sector:
- Reorganized and improved WASCO;
- Started works to improve Micoud and Desruisseaux water supply systems;
- Secured funding for new water supply systems in Vieux Fort and Dennery North;
- Rehabilitated intakes at Ravine Poisson and Vanard;
- Castries city provided with 24 hour water supply;
- Water Projects completed in Cas En Bas; Rocky Lane/Green Mountain, Dennery; Over the Bridge, Dennery; Bruceville, Vieux Fort and Fond Cacoa, Babonneau.
Providing Global Leadership on Climate Change:
- Saint Lucia played an important leadership role at the regional and international levels in climate change negotiations.
Igniting an Energy Revolution:
- Started work on the development of a 12 Mega Watt wind farm in Dennery;
- Process underway for 3.2 Mega Watt solar farm in Vieux Fort South;
- Geothermal exploration restarted;
- Installation of solar panels on NEMO Headquarters and the Mental Wellness Centre;
- Commenced replacement of street lights with energy-efficient LED bulbs;
- Established National Utilities Regulatory Commission.
YOUTH AND SPORTS DEVELOPMENT
- Creation of autonomous Ministry of Youth Development and Sports;
- Youth Agricultural Entrepreneurship programme developed;
- Launch of The Beckwith International Leadership Development (BILD) program to instill leadership qualities and strengthen the skills of youth;
- Rehabilitated over 12 sports facilities;
- Lighting installed at 5 sporting facilities;
- Three new multi-purpose courts built.
Improving the Delivery of Public Services:
- Government 311 Contact Centre established;
- Government Digitization Centre created;
- Saint Lucia Internet Exchange Point commissioned;
- Government vehicle monitoring and tracking system implemented;
- Unifed Communication System commissioned - reduces cost of Government’s telephone service by
over $2 million annually;
- Employee Assistance Program established;
- New state-of-the-art Public Service Training Institute developed.
Using Technology to Empower Citizens:
- Establishment of Community ICT Access Centres in Soufriere, Vieux Fort, Anse La Raye, Canaries, Garand, Micoud and Monchy;
- Free Wi-Fi and new computer equipment for all libraries across the island;
- Expanded internet broadband and establishment of Wi-Fi hotspots in all secondary schools on the island;
- Map Saint Lucia Programme established;
- Over $1 million in grants disbursed for ICT training and ICT business development.
More Strategic External Relations:
- Strengthened diplomatic relations with the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan);
- Established diplomatic relations with Mauritius, New Zealand, Honduras, Mexico and Argentina;
- Opened an Embassy in the Republic of China (Taiwan) 2015;
- Negotiated beneficial technical agreements with the Government of Brazil;
- Facilitated increased assistance from Taiwan, Mexico, Morocco, Venezuela, New Zealand, the United
Kingdom and the European Union.